Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Welcome, McKenzie.



On July 5th, we packed our bags for Winnie Palmer, it was induction day. We arrived at 10:45am and got settled in our room by 11:30am.  The room was beautiful, we watched as the helicopter left and returned to Arnold Palmer over and over again, we watched the sun set while the doctors came by, introduced themselves and began prepping me for what would be the most intense hours of my life. Around 5pm they gave me my first induction pill; shortly after I began doing small rolls on a ball to loosen up my hips. We watched television and joked, we ate and took naps. Around midnight I received my second pill; at 1am the contractions began.

After contractions all night, they became so terrible I was taken to labor and delivery. The entire process was touch and go as I couldn't function over the pain. The nurses there were so helpful, and once I got an epidural I was able to calm down.  My water broke at 10:39 am but at 11am Doctors inserted a needle vaginally into McKenzie's skull to get a better heart rate. By 11:30am the doctors said McKenzie’s heart had stopped twice. They handed Nikki a gown and started flipping me from one side to the next. By 11:45 the doctor rushed us to a C-Section. Laying on the table, I felt my body shake from them working, I was terrified. “Are you ready to see her?” They asked as they pulled down the curtain. I sat up as much as I possibly could, trying to see every inch of this beautiful angel that we had been anxiously waiting for. My eyes swelled up in tears as she let her cry out, I couldn’t believe anything that was happening; my life was being held in front of me, my heart and soul were complete.

We saw her long enough for a picture and a kiss and away she went, I knew she’d be ok because Nikki left with her. The time began to stand still as they finished closing my C-Section; I struggled with thoughts and emotions and soon I found myself struggling to breathe as well. I woke up as I was being rolled into the recovery room where Nikki was waiting. I felt my body shaking uncontrollably and soon I was asleep again, and awake and asleep again. A few hours passed when I finally came too, I was upset because I wanted to see McKenzie but I was also so weak. I had gotten sepsis and a high fever during my c-section. I felt so helpless, so sick, so tired and all I wanted was to see McKenzie. In order to see her, I had to rid my fever, so for an hour I sat on ten bags of ice. After my temp was normal and multiple bags of antibiotics (along with a lot of persistence), we were finally able to visit our baby.

What a year it's been, so far.