Friday, March 3, 2017

We believe in faith; I think.

Faith has been important for both Nikki and myself during our journey, at one point it was all we had. After we found out the gender of our baby to be, we continued to prepare. We have had many doctor appointments and blood tests to ensure she and I are as healthy as can be. These past few weeks have been nothing short of perfection. My belly has gotten much bigger and feeling life inside has been life-alteringWhile we’ve prayed for this time in our lives, we certainly did not expect it to become so chaotic – not yet at least.

The doctor called a few weeks before our anatomy scan to go over blood work results. It was just another afternoon as we prepared for the work night ahead. When the doctor called, he began rambling on about this result and that result. Then he said something that stopped my heart instantly; Down syndrome. I can't recall much after hearing the probability statistics and next steps that needed to be taken. The phone call was short, but I felt like time had frozen and in that very moment I struggled with an overwhelming amount of fear.

When the call ended, I sat on the steps and got lost in my thoughts. What is down syndrome? How would this change our lives? Our childs life? There were so many questions, so many concerns and so much doubt that suddenly invaded our lives.

The following weeks would prove to test our fate in every way we never expected.